Birding Tour Operators
- Africa Unlimited
Africa Unlimited perfectly combines enthusiasm and dynamism with experience and expertise to bring you the ultimate African experience.
- African Safari Adventures
At African Safari Adventures we offer an exciting array of experiences, from luxury game lodges to comfortable private bush camps, from a day safari to a week in the bush.
- Avian Leisure
We run guided day trips in and around Cape Town as well as guided or self-drive overland trips from 2 days to three weeks or longer to bird and mammal rich destinations throughout South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zambia.
- Batis Birding Safaris
Batis Birding Safaris is based in Windhoek, Namibia and originated because of a passion for birds and the joy of sharing it with other birders around the world.
- Birding Africa
Birding Africa is a specialist birding tour company. We customise tours for both world listers and more relaxed holiday birders.
- Birding Ecotours
Birding Ecotours offers small group and custom-made birding adventures worldwide.
- Birding Safaris
Birding Safaris.Com is owned and operated by Letaka Safaris, the company is based in Botswana's legendary Okavango Delta where the founding directors, Brent and Grant Reed have been guiding for fifteen years.
- Birding WETO
Maans Booysen has exclusive rights to Hyliota Camp. He is a keen birder and naturalist with many years of experience in safari guiding in Southern Africa.
- Birds and Beyond
Join Stuart McLean on a birding trip up the majestic Sani Pass, the only road to Lesotho from KwaZulu-Natal or visit the mistbelt grasslands and forests.
- Button Birding
Malcolm Gemmell is an accredited tourist guide who has 22 years of birding experience in the area and has developed an intimate knowledge of the local bird population, as well as roosts, feeding areas and activities.
- Cape Eco-Tours
Cape Eco-Tours is a small, but dynamic tour operator based in Cape Town. We offer private and personalized tours designed specifically to suit the needs and interests of each individual client.
- Cape Town Pelagics
See up to 10000 seabirds of 25 species on Cape Town Pelagics' non-profit seabird trips from Cape Town and Durban. We donate all profits to Albatross and other seabird conservation projects (over R60,000 to date), so join us and make a difference to the birds you will see.
- Eden Routes
Eden Routes, run by ecologist Joe Grosel is a specialist eco-safari operation based in the Limpopo Province that offers customized birding, photographic and natural history tours within the province and beyond.
- Falcon Africa Safaris
Travel to Southern Africa with Falcon Africa Safaris. A destination management company specialising in group and corporate travel, company incentives and conferences, as well as the ultimate African adventure holiday for families.
- Lawsons Birding & Wildlife Tours
Lawson's Birding and Wildlife Tours is a family owned and operated business, specialising in birding and wildlife trips to the very best Southern African destinations.
- Leopard Track Safaris
We specialize in small personalized tours and safaris to South Africa and Southern Africa including birding tours, Wildlife Safaris, local African Culture, White Water Rafting (seasonal), adventure activities, rhino tracking, launch cruises, Drakensberg mountains and many combinations of the above.
- Papadi Safaris & Tours
Papadi offers tailor made specialist birding safaris throughout Southern Africa.
- Rockjumper Birding Tours
Rockjumper's passion for nature, strong commitment to conservation and belief in service excellence, continue to keep them blossoming.
- Stand Veld Discovery
Strand Veld Discovery offers full- and half day birding excursions in the greater Cape Town and Overberg areas.
Local Community Bird Guides
An exciting initiative along all the birding routes is the availability of Community Bird Guides. The guides are affordable, provide improved security and valuable information on where elusive and special bird species may be found.
Being a Birder Friendly tour operator
Birder Friendly Criteria
Tour operators are required to meet certain criteria in order to qualify for ‘Birder-Friendly' status:
- The Operator and its Guides must be fully accredited tour operators/guides.
- The Operator should be able to provide BirdLife Travel with itineraries for promotional purposes at local and international Trade Shows.
- The Operator must commit to the use and support of BirdLife South Africa's "Birder Friendly" accommodation suppliers where ever possible.
- The Operator must commit to the support of Community Bird Guides where possible.
- The Operator must commit to practicing responsible tourism ethics.
For an annual subscription of R900 (South African members) or R1,240 (non-South African members), BirdLife South Africa is committed to offering Tour Operators of the Birder Friendly scheme the following benefits:
- Use of the ‘Birder Friendly' logo and branding
- A listing on the BirdLife South Africa Birding Routes website where clients will be able to contact your company directly for bookings
- Marketing at selected local and international trade shows.
- BirdLife South Africa membership
- The opportunity to market your products through the monthly newsletter
- Listing of special offers on the birding routes website and in the newsletter
- Marketing of selected itineraries through the BirdLife South Africa and the Birding Routes website
- Nomination for ‘Birder Friendly of the Year' award